The Port Richmond High School Mathematics Department believes in producing students who will exemplify mastery in mathematical practices. It is the responsibility of all stakeholders to create learning opportunities to persevere in modeling mathematics precisely and strategically with reasoning, tools, and algebraic structure. Through this collaboration, students will develop into independent, competent, mathematical thinkers who are college and career ready.
Port Richmond High School’s Mathematics Program Beliefs:
- Technology, various resources, and tools will enhance the learning process and prepare students to be 21st century learners while engaging and meeting the needs for a diverse population of learners.
- A coherent 9-12 curriculum will allow for authentic real-world learning opportunities, providing opportunities for students to make sense of problems and persevere in solving them, look for and make sense of structure, and look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
- Assessments will require students to demonstrate in-depth understanding rather than recalling simple facts and algorithms.
- Students will be confident in participating in higher level discussions that will assess and advance the understanding of concepts while constructing viable arguments and critiquing the reasoning of others.
- Student-centered, collaborative, and hands-on learning activities will promote creative and critical thinking skills for all students while enabling students to develop ownership for their education.