As you know, our school building was closed for an initial 24 hours because two or more members of our school community tested positive for COVID-19. Unfortunately, I am writing to update you that the NYC Test + Trace Corps and the NYC Department of Health have determined that at this time the building must remain closed for 14 days, inclusive of today.
Here is what will happen next:
- The school building will remain closed, and all teaching and learning will continue remotely. Staff and students may return to school on November 30.
- Anyone with a positive COVID-19 test will not return to the school until they are no longer infectious.
- Close contacts of the person who tested positive have been notified and will continue their 14-day quarantine period. If additional close contacts are identified, they will also be instructed to quarantine for 14 days.
It’s up to all of us to help keep our school community safe and healthy. While we swiftly address this situation, please remember to follow these important “Core Four” actions to prevent COVID-19 transmission:
- Stay home if sick: Monitor your and your child’s health and stay home if you are sick or keep them home if they are sick, except for getting essential medical care (including COVID-19 testing) and other essential needs.
- Physical distancing: Stay at least 6 feet away from people who are not members of your household.
- Wear a face covering: Protect those around you. Wearing a face covering helps reduce the spread of COVID-19, especially if you are sick and don’t have symptoms. For more information about face coverings, visit nyc.gov/health/coronavirus and look for "FAQ About Face Coverings."
- Practice healthy hand hygiene: Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available; clean frequently touched surfaces regularly; avoid touching your face with unwashed hands; and cover your cough or sneeze with your arm, not your hands.
We will continue to closely follow directions from public health experts and proactively update you on any measures we are taking.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions. For additional information on COVID-19, visit schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus or call 311. Finally, to ensure we can rapidly reach you via text and email, please set up a New York City Schools Account as soon as possible by visiting schools.nyc.gov/nycsa.
Thank you for your cooperation and continued support.